For Kari’s shower, I also made vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Bridal white frosting with purple sprinkles and cupcake wrappers to stick with the purple theme of course! Recipe and photos are below. Please excuse the wonky lighting, I was in a hurry to get these babies out the door!
~If at all possible, weight the dry ingredients for this recipe! It will ensure that your cupcakes turn out light and fluffy!
~Use an ice cream scoop to put the batter in the cupcake liners to ensure uniform cake sizes.
~To get extra white frosting, use clear vanilla extract
~Room temperature eggs are critical!
Source: Magnolia’s Vanilla Cupcakes from Food Network
Yield: 24 standard cupcakes
1 1/2 cups (190 grams/6.5 ounces) self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups (160 grams/5.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks/227 grams/8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups (400 grams/14 ounces) white sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup (250 mL) milk
1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners of your choice (24 total).
2. In a small bowl, combine the flours and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
5. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners and bake in middle of oven until tops turn golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out just clean (a few crumbs is okay), about 18 minutes.
6. Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
1 pound (454 grams/2 cups/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
3 3/4 cups sifted (600 grams/1 lb + 5 ounces) confectioners’ sugar (icing, powdered)
4 tablespoons (60 mL) milk
1 vanilla bean, scraped
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter for 8 minutes on medium speed (I use “4″ on my KitchenAid). Butter will become very pale & creamy.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix on low speed for 1 minute, then on medium speed for 6 minutes. Frosting will be very light, creamy, and fluffy.
3. Best used right away (for ideal spreading consistency reasons).
4. You can eliminate the vanilla bean and use 4 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.